Eefy's White Scala

Scirocco Register members projects

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
eefy
fill in the right answer:10
Re: Eefy's White Scala

Post by eefy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 am

Well got another job todo on the rocco at weekend after my best mate got me a eary birthday present, as some of you will know I;m off to the Ring in 6 weeks with him a co pilot :) the git only went and go me this-

i'd mentioned to my mate that i wasnt sure it i could afford to get the lower brace before we go (altready got both upper ones)!!!! as he said if we're going the car needs to be perfect for the track!!!!

jbo

Post by jbo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Oooh interesting, interesting.....

Where would one acquire such an awesome looking brace? :-)

Since i put the new engine in my k-bar no longer fits and this looks much more suportive than the two point i have.

Jason

eefy

Post by eefy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:57 pm

think my mate got it from VW Heritage about £50!!!!!! it also weight nothing!!

jbo

Post by jbo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:28 pm

eefy wrote:think my mate got it from VW Heritage about £50!!!!!! it also weight nothing!!
Ah ha! Cheers matey, Perhaps I could also hint it as an upcoming birthday present.... lol.

Jason

Chaps

Post by Chaps » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Ig your going to the ring - i presume your playing Gran Turismo daily to get your knowledge up of it? I must add - I am very very very jealous!!! that brace looks well too.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!

eefy

Post by eefy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Yeah ring bound in April :) cant wait lol

MJK 24

Post by MJK 24 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Let us know how it feels with the brace on! It's the last upgrade I can do it mine on the suspension side.

I'd like to go to the 'Ring in mine this year. Also think I'm taking it to Monza in September to see the Italian GP.

eefy

Post by eefy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Well having been given a lower strut brace and the weather being okay this morning I set upon fitting it.

After getting some advice that the best way to fit it was with the wheels off the gound rather that using ramps, i had my first problem. How the hell do you get the axle stands on the jacking points, how do you jack the car!!!!!!

Having had a look and a brew decided that the end of the chassis rail where the wishbone attaches was probably the best point, next problem cars so low that I could get the jack to work. Luckily i stillhad my old jack (has a small fluid leak) so I removed the wheel, by jacking at the jacking point, then I could jack off the end of the chassis rail to remove the first jack and replace it with an axle stand, PHEW!!!!!!

Bolts through the wishbones came out really easily so I loosly fitted the brace before starting the drilling for the inner wings. Thats when the second problem occured, with it being am 8mm hole thats quiet a large and long drill bit which meant the bit and drill wouldnt fit under the car!!!!! Fortunately a few months back in Aldi I saw the solution (well as the time I thought it would come in useful) a 90 degree drill adaptor (£5 was a bargain).

yeah I used alot of tools lol

Although the rear wings are shaped they dont match the contours of the car perfectly, which meant the washers to the nut had to be left off. On one side I had to use some mole grips to pull it back to get the nut to engage.

Last job was to torque up the wishbone bolts, which meant I needed to use another tool bought for a rainy day, my torque wrench (again from Aldi £25). All torqued up all that was needed was to put the wheels on and take it for a run.

And thats where I hit a problem, tightening up the last bolt it just kept turning, until BANG, oh yes the bolt had sheared!!!!!! I carefully unscrewed it and luckily it had only stretch and twisted and not snapped, coming out in one piece PHEW again.

So as it stands the cars sat on the drive waiting for a bolt, will need to pop in to VW on Monday and order one in :)

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Looking tip top mate, I was looking at that brace yesterday. i think you can only get it in red atm but im not bothered as it will be getting dirty anyway lol. You have a top front brace and rear dont you? where did you get them and do you recommend?

eefy

Post by eefy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 pm

yeah got both tops off ebay, really cheap lol the rear is spot on :)

the front though was more of a problem as mines an injection and the brace i got was for a carb, i have lots less clearance and stuff bolted on to the suspension turrets, i needed to trim it down, still needs some fettling though

to be honest I'll probably go for an OMP solid one eventually, on ebay you can get a deal for both it and the lower bar type for about £70 delivered :)

MJK 24

Post by MJK 24 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 pm

How come they're best fitted with the car on stands? I'd have thought it'd be better fitted with the car sat on its wheels as that's how it'll sit on the road? I'm intrigued now!

Looks simple to fit. Should get my finger out and get one sorted!

eefy

Post by eefy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:23 pm

From what I gather if the weights on the wheels when the bolts are taken out it could settle an getting the bolts back in can be difficult

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 pm

I must be being blind, can't see much on eBay?

If your having a problem with space in yours then I have no chance lol, bugger all room under my bonnet as it is. I've hear that front lower strut braces are pretty much all you need anyway as they make a pretty big different.

bengould

Post by bengould » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:50 pm

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:18 am

Ben...... you are awesome.

I'm always told that the rocco is basically a re-shelled MK1 Golf which is something that has become more and more apparent since having a MK1 Golf before the Rocco. So basically is i bought the one that comes as a set of three that will all fit on my Rocco no problem. That basically being a front upper and lower strut brace and a rear brace?