Project 21A

Scirocco Register members projects

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
markh
fill in the right answer:15
Project 21A

Post by markh » Wed May 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Even though Project DARE is underway, i thought it was about time i made a start on 21A. Not alot to report at the mo, but it shouldnt need too much work to get it through MOT. When i first got it , it looked like this at the front..

But as i had just got a set of inner spots from LEEP, and a spare grill, i thought id fill the gap at the front.

The lights still need to be wired up. Later this week i intend to make up a list of exactly what i need to do to get her on the road.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer:10

Re: Project 21A

Post by GTXTRA » Thu May 28, 2009 9:33 pm

so whats the plan with the CL then Mark?

Serial Rocco-ist.........

markh

Post by markh » Fri May 29, 2009 6:58 am

Basically with this one Sean, i just intend to get it through MOT, then sell it on. Original intention was to keep it, seeing as its a non body kit model, but Lynne (my wife) really likes the GTS, and she wants to run that when her Karmann Ghia comes off the road in August for its resto. I really cant afford to keep/run 3 cars. Its actually a GT, not a CL (which i thought it was when i first saw it on ebay 3 years back) badged as a GT and the log book actually says Sciroccco GT Auto. :scratch:

markh

Post by markh » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:58 am

Small update, and the front end plans change again. Back to the long grill look...

I will be doing more work on this car now that the GTS is done. I have now got a filler neck for it, which im in the process of cleaning up and repainting, i have already sanded it down and given it a coat of rustproofer. I hope to refit it on friday (weather permitting ) then i can reconnect all the fuel pipes and she will be a runner again !!! :hugegrin:

markh

Post by markh » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Finally, i get my arse into gear yesterday and refit the fuel filler neck i've had for bloody ages !!!! Then reconnect all the fuel pipes under the bonnet, put some fuel in the tank and after a bit of winding over she fires into life !! :good: .....

I intend to crack on with this motor now, as its sat on my brothers drive long enough, so weather permitting i'l make some progress on thursday when im off work. Also theres a couple of people interested in buying her off me, so thats another incentive to sort her out. :hi:

markh

Post by markh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Well, due to a huge slump in work this week, i managed to book a couple of nights off, so cracked on with some more work. One of the metal fuel pipes that runs along the floor had corroded and sprung a leak. So, i whipped of the whole length of old pipe and replaced it with a plastic fuel line from a GTX, the other pipe is in good shape ,so i wire brushed it off and sprayed it in underseal. Next up was to replace the plastic sheild that protects the fuel breather pipes, so i think thats the fuel side of things sorted.
I gave the rear brakes a strip down, cleaned up the back plates and drums, the refitted and adjusted the shoes, also replaced the drivers side handbrake cable, as it was knackered and re greased the rear wheel bearings. Tomorrow i will clean up the front brakes, and replace the drivers side outer CV boot as its split.
I let it run for a while today, and it seems pretty smooth when its warmed up....

markh

Post by markh » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Todays efforts include a new drivers side outer CV boot.....

New front pads and disc clean up.....

The old pads were pretty knackered....

Others jobs done include, fixing the horn and front washers, refitting some of the interior trim, straightening the front bumper, fixing the front sidelights and fitted LED sidelight bulbs, also i fitted clear front indies, but thats just temporary.....

More updates tomorrow. :chill:

markh

Post by markh » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Today i started on the bodywork, namely the rot in the drivers side rear arch...

I cut a repair section from an arch of an old front wing...

And then MIG welded it in place...

I will need to do the same on the other side, which is slightly worse, but straightforward enough.

markh

Post by markh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:41 pm

A bit more work on the drivers side rear arch today, filled and sanded. It will need a bit more filler in places to get a nice finish, but its looking better...

Also changed the knackered boot lock seal for a nice new one...

Not a huge leap forward today, but a step in the right direction. :good:

markh

Post by markh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 am

Yesterday, i had time to weld up the passenger side rear arch. Again i used an arch cut from a front wing (FECKOs knackered drivers wing actually), with a little bit of trimming, i lined it and clamped it ready to weld in...

Then welded it up and ground down the welds so they were level....

Next was to skim it with filler and start to rub it down. Hopefully i can do an hour on it later this morning. :good:

brass007

Post by brass007 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Wow what nice clean inner arches! :shocking:
cannot wait to see this back on the road
can't be much left to do now?

Royalrocket A.K.A Ferocio owned by an 8 year old! With RAG and Dr Dub Storm for company!!!

markh

Post by markh » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Not a huge amount now for the MOT Marko, but the next couple of weeks are taken up with work and getting FECKO back on the road. I really want to finish this and get the Mk1 done. Hopefully I can get them both in the new workshop tomorrow before I pick up my new GTX.

brass007

Post by brass007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:59 pm

markh wrote:Hopefully I can get them both in the new workshop tomorrow before I pick up my new GTX.
What new GTX have I missed something???????????? another one!!!!!!!!!
You need to go to confession to repend your sins!!!! :diablo:
so what do you need in there so I can keep my eyes peeled
air compressor, car ramps, shelving etc

you would be surprised at what I can occasionally get my hands on :buddy:

Royalrocket A.K.A Ferocio owned by an 8 year old! With RAG and Dr Dub Storm for company!!!

markh

Post by markh » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:34 am

A compressors on my wish list Mark, something around 50 litres, so let me know if anything crosses your path mate please !! :hi: :hugegrin:

brass007

Post by brass007 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:37 pm

now IIRC its the bar pressure that is important not size/volume
don't they recommend 2 bar plus for spraying?
someone let me know so I can keep me eyes peeled