The 'Mistress' a bareshell re-engineering (big pix warning!)

Scirocco Register members projects

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Skyrocketeer
The 'Mistress' a bareshell re-engineering (big pix warning!)

Post by Skyrocketeer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Some of the old-timers may recall rocco#1from the glory days of Inters '03, Action' 04 and various NR & SR meets.

Some pics from the old days:

Interpro RR day 2003

No Rice 05

Back in 2005 she came off the road for some cosmetic work (overnight street parking injury). And the project the snowballed out of control:

Off for a full respray 2007 - yup it took me 2 years to pull it apart (thats the easy bit)

By nature I'm a perfectionist and a procrastinator, which means I've really got a cat-in-hells chance of getting this project completed. It's been 5 years, and very little has been achieved.

So the plan is, whilst keeping the styling and overall feel of the mk2 rocco, bring it a bit more up to-date with a few mod-cons and a bit of a power increase to boot.

The basic mechanical spec, which probably won't change is as follows:
  • 9A engine running megasquirt on KR cams with wideband lambda and stock knock-sensors.
    Custom SS exhaust.
    Prothane bushes throughout
    256mm discs up front (Audi/VW 16v - not Vaux bits!)
    Mk3 gti rear discs
    Widetrack rear beam (+12mm)
    All electric windows & sunroof
    upper & Lower front strutbraces
    Upper rear brace.
The rest is optional/desirable/might happen:
  • P&P head (prolly can't afford bigvalves for what it's worth on a valver)
    ABS - Teeves mk4 (largely self-contained and a lot smaller & lighter than the mk2)
    PAS - probably the corolla conversion which seems a lot easier than the bluebird.
    Complete re-wire, new looms and discrete processing for all electrical accessories.
    Ethanol/dual fuel compatible.
These are undecided:
  • Suspension - probably custom rate springs to accommodate the additional noseweight of the valver.
    Turbo - would be nice, but I think the hassle and additional running cost may make it too impractical.
    Edis (or similar) Coilpack conversion - the Megasquirt is currently set up to fire a single coil from the hall sensor, but considering going over to coil-packs for additional durability.
    Gearbox - currently got an 020 but prefer the idea of a hydraulic clutch. An O2A will do this but not sure about the cable shift.
    Exhaust manifold - wondering if a 4-1 will even fit around the PAS or is even worth it compared to a well ported cast mani.
    Alarm - got an AI606 left over from before, but not sure if they're still current tech.
    Ice - something needed, but not sure what yet, pretty low priority.
Other works include:
  • Sourced new doors and front wing - done :-)
    Full respray - done :-)
    Re soundproof interior and remake underlay - partially done :-/
    New cunifer brake lines
    New fuel lines (ethanol compatible)
    Seal & paint fueltank
    powdercoat all suspension parts.
    Re-Underseal.
Cosmetically it won't look much different to the 'before' pics, though the P=Slots are now on the missus' car, and I've got a selection of 15" rims to choose from. The MTS Indicators are staying, the interior is staying, though I occasionally toy with the idea of an E30 dash swap.

So that's the SP as of about now. Currently I'm skint, still paying off an exotic wedding from last year (which also has something to do with my lack of progress). I've been slowly collecting materials in a pretty random order, and in this time of reduced funding, have consoled myself with designing wiring looms, and generally scheming.

Feel free to bug me for progress, that way it might even happen :)
Last edited by Skyrocketeer on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyrocketeer

Stripping and painting shell

Post by Skyrocketeer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Spring 2007
Once stripping had started a bit more of the cars history became clear.

It appeared it had a bit of cosmetic work on the passenger side, the passenger door was rotting rapidly, and on removing the rear arch spat, I noticed the evidence of a less than perfect repair:

Finding a self-tapping screw throught the bodykit into the steel shell re-inforced this idea.

A few stonechips on the leading edges also needed love, though none of them were severe:

And replacement doors, bootlid and front wings were also sourced.

what I thought was a mint tailgate had a hidden suprise:

So then it was ready to be trailered away for painting, along with several carloads of other, detatched parts.

Slowly bits return, painted, which are then lovingly stashed - in the dining room - where else?

Skyrocketeer

Starting on the interior

Post by Skyrocketeer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Summer 2007
Stripping the carpets and underlay highlighted the state of the interior:

Not bad considering the years of leaky windscreens and slight damp, but needing a bit of love.

After treating the rust with a phosphoric acid solution, and liberal coats of zinc rich primer, the interior was finished in stone-chip black paint. Again several coats.

Sound deadening
Several rolls of foil-backed bitumastic sound deadening was bought. In an ideal world I'd have gone with the rubber-based stuff (like dynamat) but given how much I'd need the cost would have been prohibitive. The deadening was then marked out using cunning paper templates, to fit in footwells and bulkheads with minimal creasing:

Funky Diver
fill in the right answer:10

Re: The 'Mistress' a bareshell re-engineering (big pix warning!)

Post by Funky Diver » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Your photo's so far are indicative of the job I'm going to be venturing onto too :D

I shall be keeping a close eye on your progress :whistle:

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:02 pm

:good: good to see you return sir

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Skyrocketeer

Post by Skyrocketeer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 pm

stu.gtx wrote:Looking forward to seeing this one finished.
hehe.. me too :roll:

Thanks for the encouragement - more needed to keep the mojo up :)

Skyrocketeer

Sunroof fun

Post by Skyrocketeer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Barely had the shell returned from the painters I felt an itch to start fitting stuff to it. Unfortunately, nothing was ready to be fitted :(

scrabbling around the pile of bits, I did find something though - the sunroof:

yeah!

Hmm, this looks a bit antiquated.

Can't be doing with this winding handles lark. What I need is an electric sunroof.

Some research on CGTi forums turfed up a sunroof motor and mechanism from an early Audi 80 which has the same fixing spacing, and same drive gear. Thats the hard bit done:

Now to make it fit..

It takes some nerve to take a dremel to a freshly painted, and now pretty much mint shell, but something had to go to make space:

Not much really:

Looks worse than it is:
I figured the stiffening was there to counteract the force of a 15stone bloke swinging off the handle - a small motor should be a bit more subtle.

It fits:

Yeah.

Now back to that knotty problem called wiring....

hmm..

p.s. sorry about the quality of the pics on this, the camera was dying.

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:03 pm

I remember this build from long ago, glad its happening again dude

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 am

Hope you don't mind Rocketeer... copied the pertinant info from your sunroof conversion over to the thread about said conversion. I remember the original thread you posted on the "old" site :P :good:

Skyrocketeer

Post by Skyrocketeer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:27 am

Funky Diver wrote:Hope you don't mind Rocketeer... copied the pertinant info from your sunroof conversion over to the thread about said conversion. I remember the original thread you posted on the "old" site :P :good:
No problem. I post to inform, so spread the word :)

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Nice to see you back, you need to get that one together and on the road again. Its been far too long. Claire's will be finished before you at this rate! :lol:

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
Saab 9-3 Aero - Dead
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB

Skyrocketeer

Post by Skyrocketeer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 pm

Tim_R wrote:Nice to see you back, you need to get that one together and on the road again. Its been far too long. Claire's will be finished before you at this rate! :lol:
That's quite likely a possibility, given there's 2 of them, one of which has definitely too much time on his hands..

Figured this'd be a good way to motivate myself - by getting you lot to help motivate me :D