Project DAN

Scirocco Register members projects

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Birdy
fill in the right answer:10
Project DAN

Post by Birdy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Nope, not named after myself but the handily convenient reg number of my latest toy :yup:

Got home from work Friday (18th) to find an ad about a car 20 mins down the road from me, i instantly rang the seller up to find someone was already on the way to view the car!

As luck would have it they didn't take the car so i had first refusal and promptly went to the garage where it was being stored. 10 mins later i had the paperwork in my name and a plan to get it home :)

Outside the garage

All loaded up and ready to go

20 mins later it was sat happily at its new home

Yep, that is a hole in the bonnet

Luckily the chap i got the car from had already given me a spare one! In red tho so it'll have to be resprayed
Last edited by Birdy on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VW Scirocco 16V GTX, Kamei X1 and a half

Birdy

Re: Project DAN

Post by Birdy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:09 pm

The first task was to get the car running, the Cobra immobilizer had packed up and wouldn't let the car start!

Locating the control box was easy

So was removing it and restoring the original wiring

It then fired up first time!!! Sounds great, runs very quietly and smoothly - there is a slight blow on the down pipe tho :x

Next task was to do something about the state of the car, its been stood for the last 8 years so the thing is filthy :swoon:

Engine bay was the worst

After a quick jet wash it looked much better

Decided to remove the interior so i could clean it out properly

The boot is actually very clean - surprising for the amount of time its been stood!

Fitted myself a temporary seat
not very comfy!

Then the final task for today was to give the car a damn good wash

Looking much better :hugegrin:

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Thought as today had been nice and warm i'd carry on from yesterdays progress :)

Got the interior hoovered out, put back together and refitted all the seats, much more comfy than a spare wheel

Starting to look tidier inside but the dash and center console are quite faded, will be having a look at getting them polished up over the next week or so!

Decided to start at the rear of the car by getting it up in the air to check the state of the bearings, shoes, cylinders and the dreaded filer neck....

Which was surprisingly not too bad :shocking:

cleaned it up with a wire brush and the pipe is still solid, a few coats of 'cold galv' zinc spray paint stuff and then black 'hard hat' paint to preserve it for a good few years yet

Then came the rear drums - the one side came apart fine, bearings are good, shoes have loads of life left but the wheel cylinder looks to of seized :scratch: The other drum took over half hour to get off :ire: cue much swearing and hitting it with various sizes of hammers until it gave up and fell off! Needless to say, the wheel cylinder is stuck solid but again, the shoes and bearings were fine :) No piccies of any of this tho as i'd lost my temper and forgotten :hugegrin:

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Once the car was back together and on the ground i set about making me a list of what needs doing:

The 2 dents that will need sorting out, will see about pushing them out but i can see i'll end up having to skim the wing and door then respray these along with the new bonnet and slam panel as its seen better days - i hate bodywork :zombie:

Other than that there is the rear wheel cylinders, front discs/pads and complete new brake lines front to rear (the rears are virtually rusted thru so may as well do the whole lot!).
Then there is the cam belt, fan belt, complete service (plugs, filters, oil, rad flush etc) and then it will be mot time :beers:

Am actually quite liking how original this car is, its completely standard, still has the original steelies with all the center caps! Rest assured it will be staying this way too :vcool:

On another note, anyone know the paint code for flash silver?? The sticker in the boot is way past being readable! :dunno:

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Birdy wrote:On another note, anyone know the paint code for flash silver??
LP7Y

http://www.cybertects.co.uk/scirocco/pa ... deList.php

I might have a spray can of the stuff around somewhere.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Fantastic!

Will get a litre made up as both doors, the new bonnet and slam panel all need respraying!

Junglist

Post by Junglist » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Well...? :hugegrin:

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:11 pm

:blush:

Well, the latest is that it still starts (warming it up a couple of times a week) but with work being hectic and the weather being so lovely ive actually done nothing so far :dash:

On the plus side, ive got plenty of parts for it ready to be fitted :yup: