Thanks Steve, that's helpful.
I'm trying to gather some data on Storms registered in 1979 and that could well be one of the ones missing from the list.
Big ask but I don't suppose you'd recall if it was a 4 or 5 speed gearbox...?
Thanks Steve, that's helpful.
I applied to the Stiftung AutoMuseum for the data sheet and certificate for my Storm using the service in the link below.the edmundator wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:18 pmThere seems to be a bit of confusion about the FGF cars.silvermyn wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:52 pm
Thank you edmundator, appreciate your comments.
There is a photograph of COJ 559V on page 2 of this thread. It is definately on a MK1 Scirocco. The badge on the back is a Storm badge although it doesn't appear to have the right frontspoiler. The spoiler could have been damaged and removed. But if you know it's not a Storm I'll discount it.
In respect of FPF 623V, your post at the top of page 3 states that "I was sold this as a GLI, but it is not unknown for Storms to be called GLI on the logbook. It is the right colour for a Storm and has the front spoiler and a black leather interior, although I have no idea how much of it is original." If you're now saying that it's definately a Storm, regarless of what the logbook states or uncertainty about its originality, then I'll take it as read.
FPF 702V was first registered on 16 January 1980 so doesn't belong on the list of 79's.
Are you aware of any 40th event for the Storm or do members not generally bother?
FGF 702V was the green car (a colour only used on Storms) that I owned and used for spares.
FGF 623V is Marshall's '79 Storm.
I would have thought that a Storm registered on 16th January 1980 is a '79 Storm; to most people the '79/'80 distinction would be factory spec rather than date of UK registration.
The differences are essentially a slightly different tailgate badge and different paint codes.
'79 Storms have Silbergrun met L99N or Schwarz met L98F.
'80 Storms were either Hellblau LK5Z or Noisette brown L89P.
See: http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/dr-du ... -exterior/
Nice one GreenBob!GreenBob wrote: ↑Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:12 pmI know this is an old thread, but I just came across it by chance.
I also had a 4 speed 1979 Mk1 Storm in Green about 20 or so years ago, the reg was YOR 632 V.
Wish i'd never sold it, still is probably my favourite car that I've owned.
Hope the info is of use.
CDP 120V is currently for sale in Ireland.silvermyn wrote: ↑Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:10 pmAs a newish owner of a 1979 Storm, I have found this to be quite an interesting thread. It's also the 40th anniversary of the Storm so a thread well worth reviving...?
I bought Rich_Rocco's Storm (HVG 220V) a couple of years back and it's currently being restored to it's former glory. I'll try and update the thread under Projects and Restorations [A Storm is coming (1979 Mk1 Storm) http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... 19&t=11068 ] as soon as I get some spare time. Hopefully my car will be finished for the summer.
In terms of the 17 1979 Storm's referred to in VW's letter, I've been doing a bit of research using the DVLA sites and have come up with the following details (in order of registration date):
1. HVV 502T - registered 05 July 1979 (untaxed, last taxed 31 August 1991) [may be scrapped?]
2. LYB 221V - registered 07 August 1979 (untaxed, last taxed 1 May 1993) [may be scrapped?]
3. ACN 50V - registered 22 August 1979 (taxed and MOT'd to date) [on the road]
4. COJ 559V - registered 01 September 1979 (taxed and MOT'd to date) [on the road]
5. COJ 565V - registered 01 September 1979 (taxed and MOT'd to date) [on the road]
6. HVG 220V - registered 01 September 1979 (SORN) [under restoration]
7. CDP 120V - registered 05 September 1979 (untaxed, last taxed 1 March 2011) [may be scrapped?]
8. EPM 710V - registered 20 September 1979 (SORN) [may be resting/restoring/breaking?]
9. CMU 829V - registered 21 September 1979 (untaxed, last taxed 1 October 1992) [may be scrapped?]
10. JLD 266V - registered 01 October 1979 (untaxed, last taxed 1 March 1996) [may be scrapped?]
11. JLM 215V - registered 01 October 1979 (SORN) [may be resting/restoring/breaking?]
12. GNR 560V - registered 09 October 1979 (SORN) [may be resting/restoring/breaking?]
13. YTC 500V - registered 011 October 1979 (status unknown) [may be resting/restoring/breaking/scrapped?]
14. CVP 85V - registered 01 November 1979 (SORN) [may be resting/restoring/breaking?]
15. Unknown - Blue 4 speed Storm referred to by ianaudia4 at the start of this thread [scrapped]
My apologies to any owners who may object to their car's information being posted but it is all publicly available online.
There were two 1979 examples where I couln't find any information. I'm discounting the following cars which were mentioned in this thread from the list above:
1. FPF 623V - registered 02 November 1979 and appears to be a GLI model
2. DYM 653V - registered 01 January 1980
3. TLG 298V - registered 16 May 1980
4. GMS 367 - no information available
I am particularly interested in how many 4 speed models were made. My car (HVG 220V) is a 4 speed model and I'm assuming that 1-5 listed above it were too. However, if anyone can provide this detail for the cars listed below HVG 220V it would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you don't want to share publicly.
Also, if anyone has details on the status of untaxed or SORN models I'd be interested to know. Again, please PM me if you don't want the internet knowing about it and I'll keep it to myself.
Finally, is there anything planned to celebrate the Storm's birthday? I couldn't see any mention but it would be great to see a few of the 79's out this year. Fingers and toes crossed that mine will be finished in time for the National Meet.