wheel spacers

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
duforus
fill in the right answer:10
wheel spacers

Post by duforus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:10 am

Back again guys,Background to story,I have just recently finished refurbing the front suspention on my mk 2 gti,including new discs (drilled),calipers, susp inserts, and springs and bottom joint. When i put the wheels back i find they are very close to the suspention cup the spring sits in.Could this be because i have not reset the camber setting yet.The wheels aremade by EXIM ,and are 6jx13, shod with 205/60 r13.these wheels came fitted to the car, by VW motor sport before delivery when new.can i increase the clearance by fitting some spacers without doing any harm.your views would be much apprecatied. regards PETE.

GTXTRA

Re: wheel spacers

Post by GTXTRA » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 am

moved.

all you need to know should be here.
http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/faq/ ... ch/wheels/

205 tyres on a 13'' rim are not a usual tyre choice on a rocco in normal use.

Serial Rocco-ist.........

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:41 am

the camber adjustment can makea big difference there- offer up a big square (or square thing!) to the outer edge of the wheel to give you a ball-park adea of hoow far off it is. I'd do that 1st, as if it's miles off, and needs sorting anyway, it might solce your problem without doiing anything more!

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:58 am

As above, reset your camber first, any clearance is OK, but I can appreciate your concern if it's very close.
Any spacer on the front will move the contact patch (on the ground) of the tyre out from the vehicle, further out from the imaginary line joining the centre of the top mount and the ball joint (effectively the steering pivot) If overdone this will cause tugging on the steering when you hit a bump (of which there are many on the roads today) A thin spacer would not be noticeable, however

Risocco

Post by Risocco » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:40 pm

From experience, fitting any spacers or adaptors will make your car eat wheel bearings too, esp at the rear. Not that that is the end of the world, just pointing it out dude :good:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6