ET 11 BBS Mahles

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
daveyg
ET 11 BBS Mahles

Post by daveyg » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:16 pm

So ive found a lovely set of BBS Mahles which would look sweet on the car, however they are ET 11 or 12.

After reading up on offsets i have discovered that if you have a higher et then you can lower this with spacers. However if you have an already low ET you cant increase it. So in this instance what can i do?

What are peoples thoughts on a low offset and is it do-able? Would it cause issues etc?

Any pointers would be appreciated

Cheers

Dutch GT

Re: ET 11 BBS Mahles

Post by Dutch GT » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:23 pm

It's a long way off 38, which I think is correct offset for the 'rocco.
The width of the wheel also plays a part in how much further out they sit. How wide are they?
Think you'll have problems but someone may be able to encourage you from personal experience!

daveyg

Post by daveyg » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:31 pm

The wheels are 15x7
Obviously if its too much hassle i will go for another wheel, its just these are so nice and would look great on the rocco, bit different to the ra's and suchlike

walkinginperu
fill in the right answer:10

Post by walkinginperu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:34 pm

A low ET means the wheels will sit further "out", making them stick out of the arches more. Depending on the width of the wheel, this may make the centre of the contact patch of the tyre stick out more too, meaning you will have widened the track of the car. This puts more strain on your wheel bearings and will affect the handling. A lot of people run spacers to move their wheels out further, you just have to make sure that they don't sit proud of the arches as this is an MOT failure. ET11-ET38 is 27mm/side, so 52mm increase in track.

Junglist
fill in the right answer:10

Post by Junglist » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:47 pm

I reckon the rears will look nice, the fronts may sit out a little far though. You could remedy this by fitting tyres narrower than the wheels on the fronts. With enough slope on the tyre walls, you can avoid rubbing. Instead of 205 width tyres, fit 185s (which is standard width anyway). I don't think they'll stick out far enough to be an MOT fail. The sloped tyre wall look is pretty cool and quite popular too. I had it on my last set of wheels. Loved the look but ended up kerbing the wheels when trying to mount kerbs, so beware! You have to turn in much sharper to mount kerbs with sloped tyre walls.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage