Best Paint for spraying wheels

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Beddo88
Best Paint for spraying wheels

Post by Beddo88 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi all, so just decided to refurb the wheels on my scala. They are snowflakes, in white. Couple of hours on the first wheel, and its gone from this:

to this:

Massive improvement. But now im considering changing the white to black. What sort of paint is the best to use?! Does it have to be heat resistant with the heat from the brakes etc? And in terms of laquer does that also need to be wheel specific?

EDIT: I realise they still need sanding, laquering etc, but just getting rid of the corrosion makes such a difference :)

Beddo88

Re: Best Paint for spraying wheels

Post by Beddo88 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:23 pm

PS sorry about the massive picture size!!

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer:15

Post by ianaudia4 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:02 pm

I am waiting to start this job on my Scala's wheels. The best paint is the Alping white from the dealer, at least it matches the bodywork and roughly the same price as Halfords! It would be best to get the polished surfaces re polished first as it is a messy job, then redo the paint, this is what was advised to me by a wheel refurbisher.
Hope this helps and can't wait to see the finished product.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Thats basically the plan, remove the corrosion and sand down the metal first, then cover the metal and spray the wheels. Then laquer the lot of it i think. Just need this flippin rain to go away for a few days so i can get on with it!

Cant decide between white/black. The paint itself is in good knick atm, so i could leave them white, if i paint them they will be going black. Quite like the look of black snowflakes but not sure how they'll look on a white car!

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:06 am

In the past I have used 2pack paint on wheels and it was right hardy, also used hammerite and halfords paint, both if which were satisfactory but didn't last as long.. I would well recommend (if you have spare wheels) taking the tyres off as it makes any wheel job, especially polishing, a hell of a lot easier.

COVDUBS
fill in the right answer:10

Post by COVDUBS » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 am

I always use Plastikote paint. Really hard wearing, doesnt chip etc. Goes on nice and really glossy so no need to put on a top coat.

1989 PORSCHE 944
1988 BMW E30
1988 VW SCIROCCO GT

If it aint German and from the 80's I don't wanna know

snathe
fill in the right answer:10

Post by snathe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:03 pm

If you're laquering the whole wheel after, the only stuff to use is 2K. Celly clearcoat from a rattle can wont stick and will flake off really quickly. Also, 2K will stay nice and shiney, and not get eaten by brake dust.
There's no real need to completely remove the tyres... Just break the bead on the outer wall.

'91 Pearl Green GT2 16v... Breaking
'80 MK1 GLS project... Sold

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Cheers for the replies guys, having starte one and realised the effort involved, i'm gunna get them refurbed and sprayed properly. Finally earning some money, so i'll get round to it before summer next year. No point in doing them before winter!!