Spare Wheel / Tyre Question

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
bluestreak56
fill in the right answer:10
Spare Wheel / Tyre Question

Post by bluestreak56 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:17 am

Not something people generally ask I guess but since purchasing the BMW this has been busting my brain.

Purchased the car with 4 x 17" aftermarket alloys (235/45R17 7x8.5J ET15)

However it didnt come with a matching spare. Instead it came with the very old original spare which to make matters more difficult is a metric wheel.

This wheel is 165TR390CH (approx 15.5") with a 220/55VR390 Michelin TRX tyre.

My question is can this still be used as a spare wheel? If not what do I need to buy for a spare?

Doing a little research I've found people say it needs to be the same diameter? Is this true? What about space savers?

I guess the question I'm really asking is whats my best option? Short of trying to find one identical to the other 4..

Many thanks in advance. PS apologies I know this isnt a strictly rocco question but may apply to the masses.

Funky Diver

Re: Spare Wheel / Tyre Question

Post by Funky Diver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 am

If the tyre is the original one you'll probably find the rubber is knackered anyways. As long as the rolling radius is the "same" as your existing wheels there shouldn't be an issue. It's a spare after all, so drive 50 or so miles and get your original changed is the general idea.

Space savers are great too as it gives you someowhere to stick the arse of your Sub :D

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks Funky combining that with the info on carbible has really helped - hopefully should find a decent spare now.

Thanks again!

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 pm

The TRXs on my 6 were well past it when friends and I got hold of it. Find someone getting rid of some e34 5 series wheels to make life easier? Found ours in local scrap yard with 4 almost new dunlop tyres on and they weren't metric. :D

*Edit - just realised that you were only asking about spare and rolling radius size. I'd be nervous about using a 20+ year old spare and would swap the wheel if i could.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
Saab 9-3 Aero - Dead
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB