Polishing p-slots

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MrD
fill in the right answer:10
Polishing p-slots

Post by MrD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:26 am

I have bought myself a mop polishing set,about 10 different mops ,compounds and vienna lime .
Anyone stripped and polished theirs ?
Can i use nitromoors to strip off the old paint,or will it react with the alloy ?
Would it be better to sand the orig coating off them ?

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.

GTXTRA

Re: Polishing p-slots

Post by GTXTRA » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:50 am

Glen aka Lenny125 and Stugtx run polished p slots, worth checking what they did?

ALSO the edition 38, wheel whores and perhaps even the scary 'detailing world' forums might be worth checking too?

Serial Rocco-ist.........

MrD

Post by MrD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Will check them out.Cheers,that detailing world scares me,saw that astra on there,O.C.D Or what !

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.

Risocco

Post by Risocco » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Nowt wrong with Detailing World, if your sad like me.... :blush: :hehe:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:47 pm

I used nitromorse and a wire brush - and it was still hard work. The surface of the wheel will either resemble a record or be slightly bobbly depending which model number of P-slot you have. Be warned polishing P-slots will take a lot longer than you anticipate and you'll probably get very sore fingers!!

Good luck

MrD

Post by MrD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 pm

I tried nitromoors,left for half hour,didn`t even touch the paint,just cleaned them !
So i got the dril out with a flap wheel on,spent a good hour and a half with the flap wheel and various other little grinding bits,have more or less stripped one ready to polish !
But i think it`s going to be one of those jobs i should have left well alone,if it all goes wrong,there is a place just down the rd that will do it for £30 per wheel

Have been thinking about the centre caps,what have you gut`s done ? was thinking of getting 4 alloy circles cut so i could glue them ontop of the plastic bits ? Or possibly self tap screw them on with say 3 grub screws

MrD

Post by MrD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:57 pm

I bought a set of polishing mops,huge assortment,also all the compounds (which are a bugger to get on the mop thing) So i hope my fingers will be ok !

Nowt wrong with Detailing World, if your sad like me..
I just get myself wound up trying to achieve similar results,even when doing something for the first time, i expect it to be 100% which rarely happens,so i just have to keep telling myself it will be ok,or i get pi33ed off and lose my rag and interest !

lenny125

Post by lenny125 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I cheated lol I bought mine already polished. I would of thought if you speek nicely to your local alloy wheel refurb company I am sure they would do it for you. I am not sure how much they would charge though, probably lots. Another thing is when you do get them polished up is to spary clear lacquer on them so that the alloy won't be exposed to all the elements. That is what my alloys has been done with and stills looks very nice.

whatalotafun

Post by whatalotafun » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:29 pm

what plastic centres fit into these? i need to find out so that i can fit my plastic wolfsberg centres.

MrD

Post by MrD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Not sure what others fit ? i have round plastic disks so the face looks flush.
Think i will be ok doing them myself,got 2 cans of clear to spray them with after.will prob smotherite the slots though.or possibly matt black
Wheels need to be spotless and degreased before polishing,so got a bit more work to do on them yet,will prob need rebalancing,the amount of crap behind in the hard to reach places.
This is the kit i bought http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acata ... ited-1.jpg

MrD

Post by MrD » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Here is a littl update,spent another 1 and a half hours today,need a little more with this wheel,then got 1 more wheel to go.It`s hard work,but i am getting there,i am pretty deaf now though,need some ear protection !