Wheel/Tyre Clearance issues

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Mark H
fill in the right answer:15
Wheel/Tyre Clearance issues

Post by Mark H » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Presently car got 16" wheels fitted with 215-45 profile tyres, car has TA Technix coil overs fitted. I have wound the coilovers up to create more arch clearance but their feels very little damping at all. The actually sits quite low and could do with lifting more, but it feels like the the more you lift the less damping is apparent, is this correct or am i doing something wrong ??
Would fitting say a 15" wheel and say 205-60 profile tyre help the ride out, what effect would it have ground clearance ??

Any one got info, to aid setting of the Coilovers.

Thanks

Mark

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296

Mark H

Re: Wheel/Tyre Clearance issues

Post by Mark H » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Sorry actual tyre size is 16" wheels fitted with 195-45 profile tyres not 215-45 profile tyres. Everything else is the same..

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296

bengould
fill in the right answer:10

Post by bengould » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:30 am

Unless the coil overs are damping adjustable there is probably not a lot you can do.
The damping shouldn't change with the ride height. Although if you were really low you may find you were riding on the bump stops which will make it feel a lot stiffer. You might be finding that lifting the car is just making the shocks work.
15" wheels will give you about 1" less ground clearance than 16" on the same width and profile tyre.
There is a tyre size calculator that you can out in your old and new wheel/tyre size and it gives you a visual representation of the difference. There is a link to it at the top of the wheels and tyres section of the forum.

Ben.

Nate

Post by Nate » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 am

195/50/15 will give you almost exactly the correct rolling radius. Some people favour 45 profile instead, but personally I think it doesn't look right.

If you are running a 195/45/16, this is going to be rouhgly 6mm oversize, so if you want to stick with your current wheels, dropping to either 40 or 35 profile will probably sort if if it's diameter that is the problem. Will be much more likely to shake your fillings out though!

Other thing to look at is the offset. If the wheel is sitting too close to the strut, then some spacers might sort you out. If it's rubbing the arch, you'll want different rims, or have your arches rolled to make space

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3

eefy

Post by eefy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 pm

I have 15's on mine with an offset of 25, and have to use 45 tyres all round, had the same problem with my coilovers, have it dropped about 70mm or so at the front and 110 at the back (I think), I also had all the tracking and camber set up by Awesome GTI in Irlam and runs fine. Granted I would like it slightly lower at the front but would rather be able to drive it properly than cring at every roundabout lol

Mark H

Post by Mark H » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Cheers Heath
Been playing with the car at home, wound up the adjusters on the coilovers and it appears to have given it a little more ride height and feel like their is some movement in the suspension now. It felt like it was on the bump stops before.
The coil overs are TA Technix, just want to understand what I am doing is correct (wish I could get hold of some info/instructions). Their appears to be 2 springs, 1 short with 100 stamped on and 1 long with 1010 stamped on. With winding up the adjusters the shorter spring appears to be almost fully compressed. Is this normal ??
Out of interest how much did it cost for tracking and camber set ??
Trying to achieve a firm but acceptable ride, that why I was considering dropping down to 15", need to chat and try some 15" wheels first before committing.

Mark

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296

bengould

Post by bengould » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am

Mark H wrote: Their appears to be 2 springs, 1 short with 100 stamped on and 1 long with 1010 stamped on. With winding up the adjusters the shorter spring appears to be almost fully compressed. Is this normal ??
Yes this is normal. They are just helper springs to keep the main springs seated when you jack the car up. You'll find if you have these uncompressed with the car jacked up they will be fully compressed when you put the car back on the ground.

Ben.