ats cups - bit of advice/help appreciated..

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
djw766
fill in the right answer:10
ats cups - bit of advice/help appreciated..

Post by djw766 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Got a chance of getting some ats cups (15 x 7 - PCD 100 ET28) off a mate of mate which he has just lying around gathering dust. There are no tyres with them but plan to fit with the 195/50s which i currently have on the car. Car is also sitting on coilovers but believe that this won't cause any issues? The photo below is NOT one of the wheels for sale but is of the same 'style'.

Now by that I mean it has an 'extra' smaller hole! You can see it on the wheel in the photo inbetween the top two bolt holes.

Now please excuse my ignorance but I've no idea what it is for and the wheels I'm thinking of buying do have a small bolt in that extra hole so I'd would be grateful if anyone can shed any light as to why its there... :scratch:

Also understand that they are replicas so what would be considered to be a reasonable price - they do need a refurb (not a problem as if i do get them they'll only go on the car next spring time) but they are nowhere near as bad a condition as the wheel in the photo (lip/dish need stripping and polishing on each wheelas they have been painted). Would also need to get centre caps as there are non with the wheels.......

GTXTRA

Re: ats cups - bit of advice/help appreciated..

Post by GTXTRA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 pm

It's probably a screw hole to allow a centre cap that some of these Cups looie likies have.

Serial Rocco-ist.........

djw766

Post by djw766 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for that mucker :beers: .....probably guess what the next question will be but any idea what sort of centre caps and availability on them (hearing that OE ATS centres don't fit?) or is it just better to stay clear and get some 'proper' cups?

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Genuine ATS cups don't have centres caps and personally I would leave it that way.

Value wise.. erm no more than £200?

seanr68

Post by seanr68 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 pm

I retro fitted some Mk4 golf centre caps to my ats's mate...this is what they look like on.

Cost me £13 from china...never fall
en off and, made from decent quality ABS plastic.

seanr68

Post by seanr68 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Sorry about crap picture quality, but you get the drift.

djw766

Post by djw766 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Lookin good matey... :good:

Had a search on the dreaded ebay and found these....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-VW-JETTA ... ....plenty more available but this chap is in UK...

Any idea if that part number is the same as the ones you used...look to be the same. Assume its just a case of modding the clips on the back?

Hope to get the wheels in a couple of weeks and then have all winter to refurb them :chill:

seanr68

Post by seanr68 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:01 pm

These are the ones i got mate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-VW-JETTA ... 4aacacefc6

A couple of quid cheaper, and they are in Hong Kong...but, i got mine within 5-6 days, and i got 2 seperate lots.
Before you fit them you need to remove 4 small tabs on the back of each one, then you need to remove the metal spring clip, heat the remaining large tabs and bend them in slightly to fit. Sounds a bodge...and IT IS!! But, i can assure you although they're made in China, they are very robust and i've never had one pop off. If you need any pics of how i've done mine, let me know and i'll forward some to you. :good:

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:59 pm

If the hole has a thread in it then it can be used for jacking the wheel off the hub if the wheel is stuck to it when all the bolts are removed. The thread will probably be the same as a wheel bolt so having removed all 4 you just screw one back into the extra hole until it touches the hub and keep tightening till the wheel breaks free.
Rob

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241