Radiator Air Guides

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hiltow
Radiator Air Guides

Post by hiltow » Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 pm

On the Mk2, there are two, air guides either side of the front of the radiator to channel air from outside directly to the radiator fins when the car is moving.

They're secured with screws, but on each guide one of the screws is via a spire nut that goes through a hole in the front body panel, behind the bumper. The problem is that I don't want to have to take the bumper off to get a screwdriver onto the screws, as I'd lose the factory build lines.

Just wondering if anyone has found a way of removing these with the front bumper on? It's possible to get at the with a right-angled screwdriver, but the arc of movement to loosen the screw is useless. I'd have thought VW would have put the screws in the other way around, with the head facing inside the engine bay where you can get a screwdriver onto it.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer:10

Re: Radiator Air Guides

Post by mark1gls » Tue May 29, 2018 11:09 pm

Yes it is a pain you can’t get to the screws but lining up the front the bumper again once it’s been removed is not difficult, take pictures/measurements and just do the 4 bolts up enough to hold the bumper still then tap the bumper with your hands to get it back in position.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323