Stripping down electric window mechs

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Tim_R
fill in the right answer:10
Stripping down electric window mechs

Post by Tim_R » Sat May 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Has anyone tried stripping down the motor drive on standard electric windows from a mk2 storm before and got any advice on how to get it all apart and back together again? Mine have been getting slower and slower so figured I should have a look.

Sorry mods, I meant to put this in the electrical section! not sure how i ended up in wheels and tyres. (I'm blaming being being on a phone posting this)

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
Saab 9-3 Aero - Dead
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB

Nate

Re: Stripping down electric window mechs

Post by Nate » Sun May 22, 2011 9:34 am

tried drilling a small hole in the gearbox bit and filling it with spray grease? :yup:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3

Tim_R

Re: Stripping down electric window mechs

Post by Tim_R » Sun May 22, 2011 9:11 pm

i've dismantled one of them and cleaned out the solidified grease from the cable winding mech. Just need to get it back together and cables wound around the drum. Will post some photos when i have some.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
Saab 9-3 Aero - Dead
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB