mk2 gti 8v engine into mk1 advice plz

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
volkswalker
fill in the right answer: 15

mk2 gti 8v engine into mk1 advice plz

Post by volkswalker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Ok guys in the new year ill be trying to fit an 8v digifant mk2
I know im getting the loom but unsure wat else.
Anyone done it?
What exactly should I try to get plus the loom??
Do I need a mk2 radiator?
All help will be gratefully received.
Im aware ill need new fuel lines.
Cheers rocco fans!

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: mk2 gti 8v engine into mk1 advice plz

Post by Nate » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:10 am

i'm going to be doing the same thing when mine comes back from the grotto

i've got the original tired 1.6 sat here, along with a 2 litre digipants and 'box.

i'm planning to use a mk1 rad (this may yet change!). if you use the mk2 rad you'll need the expansion bottle too, which would need a mount to be made up.
all sensors for temperatures and pressure not used by the ecu for fuelling stuff will be swapped for the mk1 versions, so dash gauges still read correct.
i'm 90% sure all the mk1 engine mounts will fit
not looked at the exhaust yet, but the new engine came with a 6 bolt manifold. don't know if this is the same as a mk1 6 bolt manifold. if it is, i'll be using the mk1 downpipe. if it isn't, i'm hoping the mk1 manifold will fit the head. 4-2-1 will follow next year when the credit card has recovered a bit.
need to modify / make an airbox to fit and take the airflow meter.
the loom i've got has connectors for all the various sensors etc and the ecu. there is then a "power plug" which i need to look up exactly what the wires are, but as i understand it there is power and earth in, and a feed out to connect to the fuel pump.
i'm going to stick with the standard carb fuel sender in the tank, and then fit an inline fuel pump from the scrappy. last time i did this i used the pump from a 90s bmw 325 or 328 (can't remember which) which can run quite happily without a scavenge pump in the tank. ignore the people telling you that this won't work (and you'll find lots of them!) it will!
last time i used the plastic fuel lines from a b3 passat. this was mainly due to having a complete b3 passat to break, which had donated it's engine. this time they will probably be made up from 8mm copper, with flared ends to keep the rubber hoses from coming off. depends what i can get hold of at the time though. also tempted to mount the fuel pump in the engine bay, but again, this is yet to be decided

some of the original mk1 engine bay loom will be required - oil and water temp sensors for the dash, alternator warning light, starter (can't remember if front lights are in the same loom or a separate one)
all engine earths and the battery +ve to the starter and alternator will be made up from new cable and fittings.
ignition amp is mounted onto the ecu that i've got, and i'm going to be using the coil from the golf. planning to mount this under the windscreen scuttle panel. this is where it was in the golf, and where i mounted it last time i did this conversion

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3

volkswalker

Post by volkswalker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:45 am

Cool advice keep it coming

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:04 pm

You texted me with a problems with getting the exhaust manifold off, I belive you will need to use the Scirocco manifold and down pipe, the Mk2 golf is different from what I can remember when I had a Mk2 golf Gti. Is it undoing the bolts onto the head from the manifold for the bolts from the down pipe to the manifold which are coursing you problems?
I've had to hammer on a smaller socket before to remove mine as the nut started to round off as they seem soft as they should be copper nuts on there.
I'm not 100% sure about which manifold is needed so anyone else know differnet?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 am

You'll need a Scirocco/Mk1 Golf exhaust manifold. The downpipe connection is in the centre of the manifold whereas the mk2 Golf is offset.

To the o.p. - it helps if you state what car this is going into? Carb or injection?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:30 am

It was a Mk1 carb feed car and going to be a Mk1 injection with a Mk2 golf engine I guess PB?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 pm

mr.brown wrote:You'll need a Scirocco/Mk1 Golf exhaust manifold. The downpipe connection is in the centre of the manifold whereas the mk2 Golf is offset.

To the o.p. - it helps if you state what car this is going into? Carb or injection?
Thanks Mr B :)

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:25 pm

FYI, the last of the US and German market mk1 Cabriolets had digifant. So there are air boxes, AFMs, inlet manifolds, throttle bodies etc out there that are on the CORRECT side.

In fact, there may be some in my shed...