Newbie - Mk1 1.5TS

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Norrs2
fill in the right answer: 15

Newbie - Mk1 1.5TS

Post by Norrs2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi folks!

Firstly, I've joined here because a friend has a Mk1 (he doesn't do Computers/Forums) and I'm looking for guidance. Sorry that my first post is to potentially punt a car for a mate!!!

This is not to say I don't personally have a passion for the Mk1 Scirocco, I most certainly do. I've been looking at them for some time with a view to getting one (crikey they're rare), but 2 exisisting classic Audi's and a missus threatening to chop my todger off if I get any more cars, has put that on hold for the moment.

Ok, to the point. My mate has a 1975 Mk1 1.5TS on a 'P' plate which will be coming up for sale and I'd like to get the subjective opinions of what it's worth? I know opinions will vary, but there's not enough for sale to guage prices, especially for this model and therefore an enthusiast's site such as this will give better guidance than anywhere else in my opinion.

The car:-

The present owner has had the car for over 30 years. It's had 2 windows out re-spray's in ownership but nothing in recent years. Apart from a couple of minor bubbles, the shell is in exceptionally good condition (new front valance being fitted imminently, which was the worst bit of the car)

The car left the Factory in Black but has been re-painted in a one off colour. (Details to follow)

It has no Front or Rear Bumpers.

It's recently had a refurbished head with a High Lift Cam and twin 40 Webber Carbs. Janspeed exhaust was fitted many years ago but is in good shape.

The car will come with 12 months MoT.

It will come with a good few spares (list being compiled) e.g. spare doors, manifold.

This is not what I would class as a 'project' car, but it will need some minor fettling to finish it,i.e. side window trims need put back on.

I know this is all a bit incomplete to form an accurate opinion and I'm sure I've missed stuff, just trying to gauge potential interest also,but a full advert will be submitted with a more complete description and pictures.

The car is based in Edinburgh.

Any more questions, feel free to fire away and I'll get an answer back to you asap.

Thanks for reading!!!

Norman

Ryan
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Newbie - Mk1 1.5TS

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi Norman,

Pics, a list of bits missing and details of corrosion would be key to price.
Also is it in current use?
Any advisories on the MoT?

But most of all people like pics!!!!

Octavia elegance kombi TDI

Norrs2

Post by Norrs2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Ryan wrote:Hi Norman,

Pics, a list of bits missing and details of corrosion would be key to price.
Also is it in current use?
Any advisories on the MoT?

But most of all people like pics!!!!
Thanks for the prompt reply Ryan.

Of course you're right, corrosion is key with these. I haven't seen the car personally, but Mike the owner, says there isn't really much at all other than a couple of bubbles on the wheel arch I think. The structure underneath for example has all been dealt with in the past and is totally sound. (in terms of sills etc)

It's not been in use for a long time but has been dry stored under cover and he's so confident it will pass an MoT, he will actually sell the car with a new MoT.

I'll get pictures as soon as I go see it for myself, as I'll have to upload them.

Thanks for the reply!

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Seriously Interested please send me further details! :)

Trimsport - Est 1996, relaunched 2013.
Official fifteen52 & Magnus Walker UK Sales. www.trimsport.co.uk
Daily: BMW X3 M Sport | Weekend: Porsche 911 C4, Boxster S Aerokit & VW Scirocco Mk1 G60

Norrs2

Post by Norrs2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:25 pm

G60MAT wrote:Seriously Interested please send me further details! :)

As soon as I have more mate, I'll let you know! I'll be posting here first. Watch this space as they say.

Thanks
Norman

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Norrs2 wrote:
G60MAT wrote:Seriously Interested please send me further details! :)

As soon as I have more mate, I'll let you know! I'll be posting here first. Watch this space as they say.

Thanks
Norman
Thanks will do :)

Daily: BMW X3 M Sport | Weekend: Porsche 911 C4, Boxster S Aerokit & VW Scirocco Mk1 G60

mark83

Post by mark83 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Interest is growing in early cars and there is not many left . Shame it's not got it's bumpers as they are nearly impossible to find this will have a bearing on the price .

Sounds like a great project look forward to seeing the picture's .

The last two ts model's I have seen for sale have been between £1500 and £2500(can't remember the exact amount) but both needed work.

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Norrs2 wrote:
It's not been in use for a long time but has been dry stored under cover and he's so confident it will pass an MoT, he will actually sell the car with a new MoT.

I'll get pictures as soon as I go see it for myself, as I'll have to upload them.

Thanks for the reply!
Has the car been started and moved? Storing a car even under a cover does not mean it will not rust, if it's not been used you will be looking at replacing some of the brake parts, hoses wheel cylinders etc, these are not expensive items but worth a mention.
With regards to the price it's hard to say with out pictures or even better someone seeing the car and having a poke about underneath.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

Norrs2

Post by Norrs2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:13 pm

mark83 wrote:Interest is growing in early cars and there is not many left . Shame it's not got it's bumpers as they are nearly impossible to find this will have a bearing on the price .

Sounds like a great project look forward to seeing the picture's .

The last two ts model's I have seen for sale have been between £1500 and £2500(can't remember the exact amount) but both needed work.
Thanks Mark!

I did have an incline that the Bumpers might be a problem to source. I have a ur quattro and a type 43 1981 Audi 100 myself and fully appreciate the difficulty sourcing parts for VAG stuff of that era, especially body trim and the like.

As stated though, I don't believe this is a 'Project' car in the truest sense. I'm not suggesting the car is perfect, but there will be no major surgery required as the car will have a full MoT.

Cheers
Norman

Norrs2

Post by Norrs2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:17 pm

mark1gls wrote:Has the car been started and moved? Storing a car even under a cover does not mean it will not rust, if it's not been used you will be looking at replacing some of the brake parts, hoses wheel cylinders etc, these are not expensive items but worth a mention.
With regards to the price it's hard to say with out pictures or even better someone seeing the car and having a poke about underneath.
Hi Mark

No, the car hasn't been moved for some time, but the items you rightly point out above will be dealt with accordingly for the MoT.

Any prospective buyer will be more than welcome to have a poke about underneath. Mike says it's solid underneath and I've no reason to doubt him.

However, I'm equally interested to see the car myself to also verify that it's equally as good up top bar a couple of bubbles he's mentioned.

Thanks
Norman

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Look forward to more info... :)

Norrs2

Post by Norrs2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:55 pm

I've found out from my mate in Audi Parts (he's also a VW nut) that the Bumpers for the TS were Chrome ones and only made in 1975-76 MY.

The Ends are still available from VW Classic parts I believe, but no sign of Bumpers being available.

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Norrs2 wrote:I've found out from my mate in Audi Parts (he's also a VW nut) that the Bumpers for the TS were Chrome ones and only made in 1975-76 MY.

The Ends are still available from VW Classic parts I believe, but no sign of Bumpers being available.
Only 2 of the 4 end caps are "available" from VW Heritage who import VW Classic parts into the UK, however they have been on back order for many many many weeks...
Bumpers are not available at all. :(